Friday, August 5, 2011

I Never Knew I was Allergic to This!

I had a stiff neck a week ago and it was already more than three days and it's still bothering me, although the thought that I did not drink any medicine was not good enough. I had to drink something 3 days after to relieve the pain and so I did, not knowing I was allergic to it. So here's the chronological story of what happened.



It was one sunny Monday afternoon, August 2, 2011, when I couldn't take the stiff-neck pain anymore that I decided to drink a medication. It's a good thing someone had Alaxan FR with them at the office so I decided to take one. After 30-40 minutes, my eyes started to itch and it itched in a very uncomfortable way. It's like telling my mind that something is itchy but scratching it would not make a difference.

After looking at the mirror I saw the flesh around my eye starting to inflame and bulge in a way that resembles an allergy. I thought to myself, where did you come from? There were no caterpillars around in the office and I did not touch anything I shouldn't have. I decided to go and wash my eyes only to find out minutes later that it had worsened. The hives started to appear more and more on one eye then on the other.

I had no choice but to go to the emergency room (good thing I'm within the hospital compound). An office mate who is also a nurse accompanied me, thanks Dominic. At the ER I was examined and revealed that I had an allergic reaction but to what?

History would then reveal that I drank Alaxan FR (the CULPRIT to all of this) about 50 minutes ago. Treatment for an allergic reaction was started. First thing was Antamin through IM route. A heplock/saline lock was then inserted to facilitate injection of Hydrocortisone, I had 200mg as starting dose. Epinephrine 0.3 ml was also given subcutaneously. Observation of the symptoms was then started for about two hours and so.

After thirty minutes of observation, I was already asleep but still easily awakened. I can't describe the feeling of having been given a drug with mild sedation and a jolt of epinephrine made me feel sleepy but at the same time I can't stop my body from moving.

The inflammation around my eyes started to disappear slowly. Redness was lighter and the bulging of my eyelids got smaller. I went back to the emergency room to be checked by the resident on duty. Fortunately, they let me go and to come back when problems occur. Of course, this did not end this way. I still had my Heplock on for 3 more doses of Hydrocortisone which by the way for 2 cc would cost you 350 pesos already (that's Solu-cortef brand). I was also to taper the dose with prednisone after completing the Hydrocortisone. Antamine three times a day was also prescribed and together with Omeprazole to counter the side-effects of prednisone on the stomach.

I'm glad the allergy was only contained in the eyes. I did not have a severe reaction like difficulty of breathing or anything dangerous like that. I've never had an allergy like this before because for all I know, I'm only allergic to crustaceans and the likes. I'm never going to take Alaxan FR again. By the way, Alaxan FR is a combination of 325 mg Paracetamol and 200 mg Ibuprofen - a very popular drug allergen.

I'm really thankful to God for what happened, at least it happened when I was still at work and near the hospital. I'm also thankful to my office mates for checking out on me while I was sick.

I want to leave this paragraph to thank my one and only soul mate Kaye Panizales. Without you I wouldn't be where I am right now and where I could be in the future. You were always there for me and this situation was not an exception. Even though you were on duty, you still managed to take care of me and buy the medicines needed. You are so heroic and I really appreciate everything you did. I know I may not have expressed my gratitude that much but let me tell you now the only words fit for the matter: Thank you for show of great tender loving care, I love you so much! Forever and ever babe!












Copyright 2011 Notes on Hobbies | I Never Knew I was Allergic to This!

7 comments:

  1. I Never Knew I was Allergic to This! @ http://notes-on-hobbies.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-never-knew-i-was-allergic-to-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Im having it now because of alaxan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ denelle so what does yours look like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it did happened to me as well please let me know what would be the best remedy in case i accidentally drink a pain reliever meds to lessen yung pamamaga ng face what med po advisable na inumin agad? zackgo16@gmail.com looking forward to your response Sir. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. whats the best remedy in case manyare instead of rushing to e.r
    what meds po pwede inumoin pang kontra ng allery na pain relievers? looking forward to your response Sir. thanks a lot
    zackgo16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best remedy talaga is to rush to the ER to avoid any fatal complications kasi pag lumabas na symptoms, ang gamot na ginagamit ay kailangan nang i-inject para mabilis umepekto. Kasi pwedeng mahirapan kang huminga in a second.

      Delete
  6. i had it too. when i take alaxan after 30 mins, then boom! what the hell happened. I never knew that i was a hell allergic to this one that it came to a point that my eyes cant see.. well anyway, after 3 days of staying inside my room without consulting or taking anything, it came to normal.. it also happens whenever i take some vit. c like potencee..pero a little redness and itchyness lang sa mga eyes ko..

    ReplyDelete